Throughout my career I have often been asked, “why would I take a temp job when I am really looking for something permanent?”
I usually ask each applicant what their hesitations are on accepting a contract role before I give my professional opinion. The usual responses I receive are that candidates feel it interrupts their job search, makes their resume look “job jumpy,” or if they are receiving unemployment benefits they fear it may interfere with the ability to collect.
Reservations on Taking Contract Work
At AP, we do our very best to put our candidates’ mind at ease and alleviate their concerns. While we understand people have reservations on taking contract assignments, we do our very best to provide solid and factual information about the benefits. In my professional experience, individuals who are temporarily employed with companies secure employment faster than those who are not.
Contract Work is Smart
My advice to candidates is always that taking a contract opportunity is smart for several reasons:
- You will gain or enhance your experience working at new facilities and different industries
- It provides new groups of individuals to professionally network with
- It gives you a purpose each day and provides mental stimulation
- You will keep utilizing your skills (and likely generate new skills)
- It very well could provide future permanent job opportunities
- It will NOT affect your ability to collect Unemployment Insurance Benefits (if you are already collecting)
- You are making an income while you job search
A Temp Job Can Change Your Life
We educate applicants that taking a temp job will not impede their ability to pursue permanent roles. We have great relationships with our clients, and they are always very understanding when someone needs to be excused to interview for a permanent position. Our objective is for candidates to feel good about themselves during their job search.
Employment in any capacity boosts your well-being. Why not give a contract opportunity a go? You never know what may come out of it until you give it a try!